Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Guest House

The Guest House by Rumi

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all.
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

     The arrivals at the door of my guest house this morning are irritation, tiredness, lack of motivation, and sadness. I have a feeling these arrivals may be due to my constant lack of sleep. I'm wakened night after night with cramps in my calves, feet, and toes, frequent urination followed by night sweats, and noises in the neighborhood. I'm a light sleeper so I seem to hear everything.

     I long for a night of sleep and rest. I seem to walk in weariness and finally after a few nights of dozing on and off, I'll sleep 4-5 hours due to exhaustion. I've decided to let the tiredness in, and be compassionate and nurturing towards myself. So, today will be a day of rest. I'm going to the pool to do my exercise, then I have 3 errands to do. When I get home I'm going to hit the couch and read, nap, and watch movies for the rest of the day. No more work for me today.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenda~~~~
    Yeah! A day of self-nurturing. Is chocolate included in that schedule? x0x0x0 Rosie

    ReplyDelete