Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Finding Your Center

"Know that you have a center. Know that you belong there. Know that the path to the center takes no effort." Deepak Chopra
Being on a spiritual path does not involve work. Quite the opposite- it involves stillness. The quieter you are on the inside, the greater your level of peace, making it easier to find your center.

Different people and belief systems offer myriad ways of finding your place of peace, your center. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Taking deep breaths from my belly while focusing on the rhythm of the inhale and exhale.

2. Chanting OM (sounds like AUM), which means "that which sustains everything which is order, and it pervades everything." I sing OM on the exhale and find myself deeply relaxing into the sound and the vibration that it produces.

3. Relaxing in a warm bath with soft music and candles

4. A cup of chamomile tea

5. Visualizing roots coming out of my solar plexus or my feet, and going down into the earth, creating an anchor.

The goal is to be at peace in the midst of living your life, and to be able to hear the still, small voice within.

In the end, what matters is that you find what works best for you. You may have other ways of centering yourself, and if you do, I'd love to hear from you. How do you find your center?

3 comments:

  1. These are wonderful suggestions. A few of them I am already familiar with. One of the ways I do like to center myself is through listening to music. It can be meditation music or even something soulful or classical. Music is universal. And it has a vibration just like we are vibrations. :) Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit on my cushion and wrap a sacred shawl from India around me,the same shawl I used during a rites of passage.
    I light a special cndle & incense.
    I try to sit in the sun light when possible feeling its warmth against my eyelids and skin.
    I realease all my thoughts visualizing them as butterflies flying away, to find my center and follow my breath in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing description of finding your center. Thank you for sharing Maureen. I too love to feel the sunlight against my eyelids and skin, and I love candles and incense.

    ReplyDelete