Friday, September 2, 2011

Peace of Mind, Part V

"I'm responsible for my life--I'm at source--I'm responsible for my own sense of peace and contentment." The author, Brenda Marroy

This is the last in the five part series on "Peace of Mind."

Suggestion # 5 for finding and maintaining peace of mind is:

Be willing to surrender to what is and go with the flow

     Whatever is happening is just "what is", and it's going to be whatever we say it is. We have choices in how we hold whatever is going on in life at any given moment, and sometimes we can change things, other times we just have to be with whatever is present.

     Being present to what is does not mean pretending there is no suffering, strife, anger, or war, or whatever. What it does mean is accepting whatever is, and calling it by name, as we stay present to how we feel about it. Pretending a snake is not a snake, does not change it into a cute, cuddly bunny. It's still a snake and it needs to be acknowledged for what it is. Maintaining peace of mind in the presence of the snake is not about denial, it's about being fully present to the possible danger of the snake, and doing whatever needs to be done to maintain life and peace.

     Being present, and finding and maintaining peace in the presence of chaos, takes courage. I appreciate The Serenity Prayer because I believe it speaks to the topic of peace,courage, and presence.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, (it's a snake for sure), the courage the change the things I can; (I can get the hell out of here), and the wisdom to know the difference." (I know I need to protect myself from an encounter with this snake.)

     As I write this blog, I'm in the middle of practicing being present to something I cannot change. It's not always easy to accept what is, but it is possible. Maintaining peace in my heart in the midst of insanity is taking all the courage and energy I can muster, as I remind myself to keep breathing and follow my own suggestions for finding and maintaining peace of mind.

     I remind myself that I cannot control the insanity, I see the bigger picture of an unhealed child trapped in an adult body, and I pray for the emotional healing of the child. There is no either/or and I don't have to win anything or any argument. I've already forgiven, the forgetting will be an ongoing process, and I'm surrendering to the hurt in my heart and just being with it.  


Peace to all as you go about your day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment