Thursday, October 6, 2011

Autumn Leaves

Autumn is my favorite time of the year. I enjoy the beautiful fall foliage in the Blue Ridge Mountains where I live. There is nothing that stirs such awe and gratitude in me, then seeing the leaves turn color and fall to the ground. Sometimes, the beauty is so overwhelming all I can do is cry.

In October, 2005, while sitting one day watching the leaves fall, I wrote this poem in celebration of nature.

AUTUMN LEAVES
                                                                                                          
Red, orange, gold, and rust leaves
start their journey from high in the trees
to the earth.
They don't all just fall-
some spiral and swirl and dance
as they make their descent.

Twirling orange and red.
Dancing yellow and rust.

They dance alone in their free fall,
each a separate entity,
yet all from the same source.
But, when they land,
they touch each other.
And together transform the brown and green earth
into an artists' pallette,
rich with vibrant color.

The wind blows and they dance some more,
and as they lay down and become still
the earth becomes their canvas.
If I could frame my yard,
I would have a masterpiece.

2 comments: